Ruby or how I used a OverDyed Damask Linen Tablecloth to create a unique Garment for myself.
Ruby is a wonderful Top/Dress pattern buy Rae Hoesktra from Made-by-Rae Sewing Patterns.Â Sizes range from XXS to XXXL.Â Ruby is a quick and easy garment pattern.Â The pattern provides great step by step instructions.Â You can find Ruby pattern at Marbled Arts.Â Ruby is also the first garment I constructed using my OverDyed Damask Linen Tablecloths.
I have always loved old antique Damask Linen Tablecloths.Â I found several with ugly dark stains on them. You may have guessed that anything that is in my studio to long ends up in a dye bucket. I preceded to over dyed several Damask Lined Tablecloths.Â In my experiments I have found dark bold colors work best to completely cover the stains.Â And that Procion MX Dyed are the best dye for good full over all coverage.
Ruby Garment Front
I will say that it took me longer to figure out how I wanted to Fussy Cut the pattern pieces out than it did to make the entire garment. Often referred to as the Fussy Cut from Hell.
Ruby Garment Back
But I love the Damask Design in the linen and really wanted to show it off to its best advantage. So tying the different ways to Fussy Cut was definitely worth the effort.
I did add 3 inches to the length of the garment as I am tall, but also to add more of the gorgeous Damask Design along the hem line.
Love the way my version of Ruby turned out using the OverDyed Damask Linen Tablecloth. In the photo you are able to see that I used Hand Dyed Cotton of the same color to line the yoke.
Finished my Marbling and have move to making samples of new Patterns. Mandarin Collar is Kwik Sew K4195. This is the Vest Version. Personally I think it is a Sleeveless Top. Went for bright and fun fabrics, Snowed Dyed Fabric, one Yard piece and 1 5/8 Yards of Hand Dyed Forest Green for size Large.
I found the Mandarin Collar to be a fairly easy pattern to put together. As I have a new sewing machine there was a bit of a learning curve and just getting used to the machine.
When I do samples for my booth I try very hard to sew as the pattern is written. But the way the directions had you do the Sleeve Opening, was not to my liking at all. Instead I found my self using hand made Bias Tape (Snow Dyed Fabric) for the finish. I also had five of the Copper and Silver buttons, so five buttons rather then the suggested four.
Loved using my Snowed Dyed fabric for the Contrast.
This is how it all started.Â I had been wanting to create the long version of the Kimono Jacket, after all it has pockets and is easy to wear.Â This button from JJ Handworks was my inspiration.Â I also wanted to use some to the pieces that I had created using paintstiksÂ onÂ hand dyed fabric combined withÂ hand marbled fabric andÂ a beautiful batik.
IÂ wanted to experiment with different styles of fill in Free Motion Machine Quilting and thread.Â So each section is a bit different design and thread.Â I have fallen in love with Wonderfil Thread.Â This was a wonderful way to get to know some of their differentÂ threadsÂ and I had a great time playing with thread.
I will confess that the Left side (the black with all the falling leaves) is not the original panel.Â I did one using thread and I was justÂ not happy with the way it turn out.Â By that time I no longer had any more of the original batik.Â I know me and if I don’t love my wearable piecesÂ I won’t wear them.Â So the jacket was on hold until inspiration hit.
I’m part of a Art Quilt group and one day we were playing with paintstiks and this idea just sort of fell together and Im so happy with the way Kimono Leaves turned out.Â It was worth all of the time and energy.
The Modern Poet is a pattern by Dana Marie Design Co.Â It has several different collar and cuff variations, you can make it to suit your mood.Â I used Hand Marbled Chocolate brown fabric to the cuffs and collar and a very mottled hand dyed Chocolate Brown for the body.Â Â Brown is a mix of color, because I didn’t agitate the fabric much,Â it did something thing crazy.Â But I liked the effect and decided to use it for the garment anyway.
This pattern is made from Dana Marie Design Co. pattern Contemporary Classics and it really does not look at all like the pattern photo.Â I had a vision and it turned out even better than I had dreamed.Â I used hand marbled fabric for the front and back panels.Â The rest of the jacket is hand dyed fabric.Â The entire jacket is quilted and took hour to complete.Â But the jacket itself is really easy to put together.Â It’s easy and comfortable to wear.