If you are looking to create a Wearable Art Garment this pattern (Kwik Sew K4104) gives you space to play. The Lined Open Front Jacket is pretty easy to construct. It took me longer because of all the embellishments and Quilting that were added. When I plan to Quilt on a garment constructed with Hand Dyed Cotton Fabric, I always use Flannel as batting. The Flannel has been washed and dried a minimum of three times in very hot water and dried in a hot dryer. This is done to get any possible shrinkage out of the way.
I planned to Quilt on this garment, I initially cut the fabric out one-inch
larger than the pattern pieces. This
allows for any shrinkage that occurs during Quilting and Embellishing.
colors are Hand Dyed Lavender, Sky Blue and Marbled Cerulean. The strips were made using a ¼” Bias Tape
Maker. The Ultimate Marking Pencil (UMP)
was used to draw the lines for strip placement.
After sewing down the colored strips, I used a hot iron (Steam or no
Steam, works both ways) to remove the UMP lines. At this point I felt a little stumped, things
didn’t look right, my creative eye was not happy. Thinking it was time to put the project into a
Time Out. My sister suggested that I
hang the jacket on my new dress form to see what I thought. Realized that I had been constructing in 2D
and my brain had been dreaming in 3D.
With a few minor adjustments and I was ready to move on.
The Ultimate Marking Pencil is used to draw very basic Quilting outlines. I always allow myself the freedom to create and adjust as I am Quilting. The beauty of the UMP is if you are not pleased with the design you can iron it away. I love the face that once I am done Quilting, I can iron away the markings and no one knows that I Quilted outside the lines.
Quilting takes time, give yourself time to Quilt. I always use extra pieces of Cotton and Flannel to do a sample to find the right thread, needle, stitch length and tension. Remember everything is a huge adventurous experiment.
My Fabric has been created. Time to cut out and mark everything. Construction of the jacket took less time than making the fabric. The pattern called for tons of Understitching, so I chose to leave an opening in the lower center back of the lining. It made it easier to get to all of the places to Understitch. I sew it up by hand when everything was finished.
Finished Wearable Art Jacket
This is View A, but with all of the Embellishments and Quilting I chose to put pockets in the side seams instead if the Welt Pockets. Jackets need pockets in my world. This is how I Create a Wearable Art Garment.
Finished my Marbling and have move to making samples of new Patterns. Mandarin Collar is Kwik Sew K4195. This is the Vest Version. Personally I think it is a Sleeveless Top. Went for bright and fun fabrics, Snowed Dyed Fabric, one Yard piece and 1 5/8 Yards of Hand Dyed Forest Green for size Large.
I found the Mandarin Collar to be a fairly easy pattern to put together. As I have a new sewing machine there was a bit of a learning curve and just getting used to the machine.
When I do samples for my booth I try very hard to sew as the pattern is written. But the way the directions had you do the Sleeve Opening, was not to my liking at all. Instead I found my self using hand made Bias Tape (Snow Dyed Fabric) for the finish. I also had five of the Copper and Silver buttons, so five buttons rather then the suggested four.
Loved using my Snowed Dyed fabric for the Contrast.
Silhouette Dragonflies is finally done. It has a saga behind it. I created a Snow Dyed Yard of Fabric about Four years ago. It hung in my studio until this Spring. Had some ideas but never seemed to have the time to make anything out of it. Then I saw Silhouette Dragonflies by Diane McGregor (Yes, you can find it on my Website). I ordered it on a Thursday, it arrived on Monday and I had the unfinished top in my booth on Friday. It just makes me happy to see the finished Wallhanging. Please note it can also be used as a table runner.
Please be aware that with Snow Dyed Fabrics no two pieces are ever the same. I dye three yards of fabric in one pile of snow, sometimes they come out looking like cousins, other times they look like they are from different planets. And trying to create a repeat is really an exercise in futility, it never works. My suggestion is, find a Snow Dyed piece that speaks to you and go from there.
Time for a new Pavers Kit. This one I’m calling Autumn. Rich gorgeous Batiks in beautiful Autumn colors, all set in a stunning Hand Dyed Dark Chocolate Brown. Color that make me dream of going for long walks in the Forest. Miss Molly, want to go for a truck ride?
You can almost get a whiff of the forest.Finished top, no time yet for quilting. You will find the kit with or without the pattern on my web site.
Every project starts somewhere. This one started with a yard of Snow Dyed Fabric and a jacket pattern. My Snow Dyed Fabric is dramatic and I did not want it to compete with the body of the jacket. I hand dyed the jacket fabric and the flannel fabric for the batting. But it needed something else to give it life. That lead to experiments with all of the blue paintstiks in my stash. Finally selected Iridescent Dark Blue for the Butterflies and Dragonflies. Then I was stumped on how to quilt the pieces. Got inspired by an issue of Machine Quilting Unlimited. I do love it when a plan comes together and it turned into a Garden for the Butterflies and Dragonflies. I love the subtle use of the paintstiks.